'One day' car #1 - Reliant Scimitar GTE


There are several cars that I really really want. This is normal. Some of the cars I lust after are bit wierd. When I have time and inclination to do so I'll write a bit about each of them. 

So to kick off, The Reliant Scimitar GTE. I have a long standing, slightly wierd obsession with this car, specifically the 1972 SE5A model. It was an oddball choice even when it was new, but I think it is the height of 70s cool. It was designed by a chap called Tom Karen who also designed the Raleigh Chopper bike. My dad had one once in baby poo brown, although in my defence I liked it before I was remembered he had one. My only memory of it is being told to take my feet off the dashboard or I would mark the quality vinyl.

Every time I see one on the street I get a little bit excited and point out to whoever I'm with; "look look look, a Scimitar!" This is generally met with apathy or derision but the fact is I just don't care - I want one.

I have long term spanner wielding plans for it to get it to the perfect spec. Firstly I have to find one that isn't a total shitter. At some point after that, probably the day I can afford to do it properly, I will do a full bare chassis restoration. I'll paint it in dark red,  have the whole interior trimmed in black leather, fit period 1970's sport seats and steering wheel, transplant the V6 from the 2005 Ford Mondeo ST220, find the perfect sports exhausts to get the right raspy V6 howl, fit the 5 spoke rims from the Jensen Interceptor III and get the ride height absolutely bang on so it looks just right. Mark my words this car will exist one day.

I have a recurring dream in which all I do is look at it for a bit, get in, put on some wayfarers, start it up with the window cracked so I can listen to the sound and then just cane it around the countryside with the exhaust howling.

One day I will own this car:


3 comments:

  1. Live the dream, you know it makes sense. I just bought a 77 S6A and plan to do it up.Although I quite like the Wolfie slots and the engine tunes to much better than a mondeo's with a bit of fettling!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where out 'n about today. Never had such a lusty and fast car. Go and get one! Best is SE 5a!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How near is your dream right know?

    ReplyDelete

be kind...